The first update in the new design extends the basic functionalities of Wheelmap and also brings along some innovations: The map loads faster, WCs can be found more easily and the community can find Wheelmap events to join in. Beyond that: Wheelmap now speaks 32 languages! So that even more people worldwide can contribute to the map.
In the last months the product development team of Wheelmap.org has been working on the code… as usual… until we were able to put together a decent update package for the apps. In the following you will find an overview of the major changes. The improved apps are now available in the stores. If you are already proud owners of the Wheelmap on your smartphone, the update will come to you automatically!
Wheelmap Android app
Wheelmap iOS app
New and improved features of the app
- The map view loads faster so the POIs in the map section are displayed immediately. Note: Zooming in is still necessary to see the first clusters and entries.
- An obvious change in the design: The traffic light symbols now have different shapes. This is helpful for colour-blind people and contributes to the accessibility of the application.
- By clicking on the new menu item “Events”, the current campaigns and mapping activities from the community are displayed. Join in!
Do you only understand Chinese? No problem.
- The app is available in more languages: A total of 32 languages are available to the community now: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Taiwan), Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (United States), Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese. The language selected on the phone in your settings is the one which will automatically be installed. If the language is not available, the app falls back to the English version.
- Simple but important in connection with languages: The search field now allows correct input of non-Latin characters.
Data sources, filters, report photos and problems, add new places
- We have integrated more external data sources so that you will find over 1 million entries from over 100 partners worldwide in Wheelmap. Some of them show more accessibility details. If the information is incorrect, it can be reported.
- You can use the filter to search for wheelchair accessible WCs. The next wheelchair accessible WC near a certain place is also displayed for entries where there is no WC information available yet.
- We have improved the layout of the photo gallery for a place. You can now report inappropriate or incorrect photos.
- You can add new places by clicking on “Add new location”. A simple questionnaire opens where you can fill in the place details. and answer additional questions about accessibility that are important for blind or deaf people. No registration required!
We are looking forward to your feedback, send it to: email@example.com!
Graphic design: Adina Hermann